Matthew Hunt: Building a Marketing Agency (and taking it from ZERO to $7M!)
I was so excited to get to sit down and talk marketing with Matthew Hunt.
Matthew didn’t start in marketing – as a matter of fact, he started in the theater. Having his first child made him realize he needed to go a different path.
He started doing door to door sales, which felt a whole lot like auditions. Fortunately, his years as an actor gave him an awesome background for “auditioning” for clients… and the ability to handle rejection.
He moved from door-to-door sales to fax broadcasting, which eventually lead him to using Google Adwords. That’s how he stumbled into digital marketing and creating his own agency.
He talks at length about the whole process – and his early challenges – during our interview. Watch the whole thing right here:
Digital Marketing and Picking a Niche
If you’re familiar with my Agency Accelerator mastermind, one of the VERY FIRST THINGS we talk about is why you need to pick a niche. Then you need to build a funnel that directly targets that particular ideal customer.
Matthew learned this the hard way.
Initially he was totally caught up in the hustle, working 12-15 hour days and sacrificing his relationships with his family and friends to try to get by.
He had the same struggles so many digital marketers have:
- Not being selective about who he offered his services to
- Being unwilling to turn down money even if the client wasn’t in his niche
But niching down and picking a speciality is absolutely a key if you want to be able to grow and scale your business.
Because it makes it a lot easier to replicate your process.
Tips for Building a Successful Agency
Matthew goes in depth on his tips for building a successful marketing agency in the interview. We also put it all into the One Page you can download at the end of this page!
But here’s the tl;dr:
- Verticalize and productize. Focus on your framework and strategies in a specific niche.
- Create your positioning.
- Create your frameworks and processes so you can teach them to your team.
- Train your trainer and hire as necessary.
- Create your Vivid Vision and be clear about what you want for the future of your company.
If you are struggling to scale your digital marketing agency, you have to check this interview out. There’s a ton of really valuable information about how to get from where you are to where you want to be.
We also talk about:
- How to hire a coach (or do you need THREE? Find out now!)
- Taking on a partner and how to choose one
- When to raise your prices
- Rebranding and buying results
- …And so much more!
You can also show this post some love and download the Expert Spotlight One Page below.